Software Management call for RFEs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed May 22 22:30:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 03:52:22PM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Something I'm just now running into - I have a package that can make
> use of one of two different backends, but it definitely needs one of
> them.  I don't want to pick which one in the package.  Also, it is
> explicitly referencing specific implementations, not a generic
> interface, so a generic Provides in the backend packages is not
> appropriate.  But something like:
>
> Requires: ( pkgA || pkgB )
>
> might do the trick.

FWIW dpkg can express this kind of dependency, eg:

Depends: exim | mail-transport-agent
[from: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html]

If implemented, this would have implications for Fedora.  You could
have two people who have installed the same package, with a very
different set of dependent packages, leading to some sort of
combinatorial explosion of QA.

Rich.