Software Management call for RFEs

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Thu May 23 05:28:04 UTC 2013

Michael Scherer wrote:
> Without explaining why a package is suggested or recommended, people
> cannot make informed choice on it.

In all of the examples I mentioned the reason would be pretty obvious
once you know that the recommended package exists. If you're not sure
whether you want a recommended package you can read the description to
see if it seems useful to you.

In less obvious cases it would of course be helpful to explain in the
package description why the other package would be useful together with
this one, but users might never see that explanation unless Yum or
Packagekit or whatever notifies them about the recommendation.

> And if you had suggest/recommend
> by default, you bloat the system, and if you don't, then that's useless.

Getting notified about relevant add-ons that I was unaware of is hardly
useless.

As for bloat, that's where the distinction between recommendations and
suggestions comes into play. If the optional package is very likely to
be useful in most cases and has modest requirements, then it should be
recommended and get pulled in by default at least in interactive
operations. If it's likely to be useful only to some users, or if it
pulls in lots of additional stuff, then it should be suggested and get
installed only on the user's explicit request. This minimizes bloat.

Björn Persson