Hardcoded TMPDIR - anywhere else?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu May 23 09:09:39 UTC 2013

On Thu, 23 May 2013 03:00:51 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> >   ## Use $MOZ_TMPDIR if set. Otherwise use /var/tmp instead of /tmp
> >   ## because of 1GB /tmp limit in Fedora 18 and later.
> >
> > It is insane to hardcode /var/tmp.
>
> Considering the comment, they probably think it's insane to put /tmp
> in RAM, and since web browsers are often used to download huge files
> and /tmp is the default non-hardcoded dir, they're trying to avoid
> users complaining about failed downloads.

There's no guarantee that /var/tmp is larger than 1 GB.

Making an application default to /var/tmp would be acceptable, if it
respected $TMPDIR and didn't export the changed env var to programs it
launches. In parts of the Firefox source code even $TEMP and $TMP are
examined, if $TMPDIR is unset. Firefox upstream evaluates $TMPDIR.
It doesn't know $MOZ_TMPDIR. Do we want $FOO_TMPDIR for every program
that defaults to storing large/huge files in /tmp. Hopefully we want
to make it evaluate $TMPDIR instead, or make Fedora default to /var/tmp
instead of /tmp.

> For reference, see the very long debate about tmp-in-tmpfs.

That one is not for ordinary human beings. ;-)

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.3-301.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.29 0.09 0.07