Software Management call for RFEs

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Thu May 23 09:22:14 UTC 2013

> (5) Almost all %pre/%post scripts need to be eliminated.  There's no
> reason that RPM can't detect when a shared library is being installed.

I'd like to see this for the configuration of the source tree during the
build process (up to and including the %prep stage).  Right now, just
applying the patches can require a system image which provides the build
dependencies.  Many %prep scripts also leave behind random stuff for
developer convenience (think "patch -b"), and this interferes with
things like generating diffs or source tree indexing.  And right now,
accessing the actual source code is computationally expensive.