Software Management call for RFEs

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Thu May 23 11:18:50 UTC 2013

On 22. 5. 2013 at 12:47:58, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:
> 2013/5/22 Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com>:
> > Dear Fedora community,
> > several months ago, at the Developer conference in Brno, Software
> > Management team received a whole bunch of proposals for new functionality
> > in RPM and related software stack.
>
>   As a packager, some way to transparently handle an upgrade when a
> directory changes to a symlink or vice-versa.
>
>   A minor, extra checking one that I was hit recently was lack of checking
> a package that have a symlink to /builddir/some-where, and would only work
> on my computer because the symlink did point to
> /home/pcpa/rpmbuild/BUILD/...
>
>   As an user, some way to, but mostly adding some policy, to have multiple
> sonames of a library installed. Usually only useful to avoid a window of
> time with broken dependencies, but sometimes useful to have some package
> that only works with an older version of some library functional, without
> blocking an update.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Do you actually ask for multiple
versions of a single package to be installed simultaneously? If that's the
case, I can say no right away ;-)

The other thing I sense you might have on your mind is to remove from update
transaction those packages that are held back by some requirements and
continue with the transaction. Is that correct?

Thanks
Jan