Software Management call for RFEs

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Thu May 23 15:09:30 UTC 2013

> From: pknirsch at redhat.com
> >>
> >> Amen to that!  I roll my own rpms daily from locally developed
sources
> >> where we have no policy of pushing tarballs.  From everything I've
ever
> >> been able to figure out, it's necessary for me to make temporary
tarballs
> >> just to feed rpmbuild.  It always seems such a huge waste of time,
> >> especially for very large packages.
> >
> > RPM would still be making tarballs behind the scenes, even with better
> > integration with git, wouldn't it? -- you still need the ability to
make
> > SRPMs.
> >

> But rpm could just do a git-tar-tree behind the scenes, which sounds
> easy enough.

Exactly.  And even though I have to give rpmbuild a tarball, I don't
believe it ever reuses it "as is".  My understanding is that the content
gets extracted, processed and tarballed again.

I'd like to see it behave more the way I expected it to when I naively
first started rolling my own packages.  Specifically, it would be nice if
the %Source URI was processed intelligently to automatically retrieve the
content via HTTP, FTP, GIT, FILE or whatever (within reason) happens to be
specified there.

--
John Florian