Software Management call for RFEs

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu May 23 15:29:21 UTC 2013

On 05/23/2013 06:09 PM, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:
>  > From: pknirsch at redhat.com
>  > On 05/23/2013 04:47 PM, Paul Flo Williams wrote:
>  > > John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:
>  > >>> From: Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>
>  > >>> What I would like to see is
>  > >>> solid git integration. Git has become the standard distributed vcs
>  > >>> and github and google code etc have stopped hosting tarballs and/or
>  > >>> discouraging it and GNOME is planning to do that as well.  If Source
>  > >>> URL could point directly to a git url with a hash or git tag, we
>  > >>> would benefit.
>  > >>
>  > >> Amen to that!  I roll my own rpms daily from locally developed sources
>  > >> where we have no policy of pushing tarballs.  From everything I've
> ever
>  > >> been able to figure out, it's necessary for me to make temporary
> tarballs
>  > >> just to feed rpmbuild.  It always seems such a huge waste of time,
>  > >> especially for very large packages.
>  > >
>  > > RPM would still be making tarballs behind the scenes, even with better
>  > > integration with git, wouldn't it? -- you still need the ability to
> make
>  > > SRPMs.
>  > >
>  >
>  > But rpm could just do a git-tar-tree behind the scenes, which sounds
>  > easy enough.
>
> Exactly.  And even though I have to give rpmbuild a tarball, I don't
> believe it ever reuses it "as is".  My understanding is that the content
> gets extracted, processed and tarballed again.

I dont know what gave you such an idea, rpm certainly does nothing of
the sort. The tarball is obviously extracted for building, but what ends
up in the src.rpm is the original tarball and the patches defined in the
spec - this is the "pristine sources" principle:
http://rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/ch-rpm-philosophy.html#S1-RPM-PHILOSOPHY-PRISTINE-SOURCES

> I'd like to see it behave more the way I expected it to when I naively
> first started rolling my own packages.  Specifically, it would be nice
> if the %Source URI was processed intelligently to automatically retrieve
> the content via HTTP, FTP, GIT, FILE or whatever (within reason) happens
> to be specified there.

Rpm >= 4.10 can automatically download remote sources and patches over
http and ftp, but since there's (currently) no way to verify downloaded
content the feature is disabled by default as its quite a security risk
to download arbitrary content from the internet without checking
checksums at least.

	- Panu -