Arduino firmware permissible to include?

Rich Mattes richmattes at gmail.com
Thu May 23 17:18:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Peter Oliver <
lists.fedoraproject.org at mavit.org.uk> wrote:

> Without access to the build scripts (which the GNU GPL2specifically says
> must be included), do we even have a licence to redistribute the firmware?

It looks like the "build scripts" are provided in the form of AvrStudio
project files.  But I think there's a bigger problem here: are you sure
that the firmware is GPLv2?  It looks like the firmware is under this
license[1].  A closer look at that license is probably warranted.  The
redistribution rights granted look like they're predicated on the purchase
of an Arduino, I don't know what that means for Fedora project
redistribution.  The reverse engineering clause is kind of odd since all of
the source is included.

The github repo linked seems to match the wifi shield files in the arduino
1.0.5 source distribution (in the folder
arduino-1.0.5/hardware/arduino/firmwares/wifishield)

Rich

[1]
https://github.com/arduino/wifishield/blob/master/firmware/wifi_dnld/src/license.txt