Software Management call for RFEs

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat May 25 13:34:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Michael Ekstrand <michael at elehack.net> wrote:
> Performance improvement: improve scaling to 5K+ installed packages.

* Amen. This is particularly compounded by poor caching default
behavior, so that a few yum commands in a row each wind up reaching
out to downloading metadata again, and again, and again.

I think this can be addressed by moving the metadata updates to a
different function, and calling it *separately* only as needed. The
Debian "apt" tool does this quite effectively.

* Script parseable output without extraneous labeling.

The output of "yum list is cluttered with unnecessary headers, and
whitespace handling that winds up trimming package names or inserting
extraneous new lines. I'd fiind it invaluable if "yum list --tsv" gave
a tab separated variables list of:

             name    version   release  arch   reponame

And leave *OFF* the  "Installed Packages" and "Available Packages"
entries for such tab separated variable output. I loathe having to
sort those out for scriptable operations.