Software Management call for RFEs

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat May 25 14:04:45 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM,  <John.Florian at dart.biz> wrote:
>> From: Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>
>> What I would like to see is
>> solid git integration. Git has become the standard distributed vcs
>> and github and google code etc have stopped hosting tarballs and/or
>> discouraging it and GNOME is planning to do that as well.  If Source
>> URL could point directly to a git url with a hash or git tag, we
>> would benefit.
>
> Amen to that!  I roll my own rpms daily from locally developed sources where
> we have no policy of pushing tarballs.  From everything I've ever been able
> to figure out, it's necessary for me to make temporary tarballs just to feed
> rpmbuild.  It always seems such a huge waste of time, especially for very
> large packages.

Nahh, you can work around this. Manipulate %setup" to build a local
compilation directory, but not unload tarballs, and then in the
"%build" step do a git pull froom your git repo. And add
"BuildRequires: /usr/bin/git".

But this  means that your SRPM's will not have the available build
materials, and will require an outside web access to download source
code. This is *tremendous* source control problem.