Software Management call for RFEs

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Mon May 27 07:46:45 UTC 2013

On 24. 5. 2013 at 15:20:24, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 05/23/2013 07:08 AM, Jan Zelený wrote:
> > Have you tried using dnf instead of yum? It is much faster.
> >
> > To be perfectly honest we don't plan to invest much effort in developing
> > new things for yum, it will more and more shift towards maintenance mode
> > and the focus will be on dnf.
>
> What does the "we" stand for here? If this is Red Hat on the whole, a
> broader announcement of the plan would be helpful.  I will note that
> while dnf is faster overall, it doesn't have many of the important
> features of yum and I still ran into bugs in some trivial tests from
> time to time.
>
> https://fedoranext.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/status-of-dnf-experimental-fork-> of-yum/

The "we" means the Software management team. Obviously the dnf is still
nowhere near the state of yum but it's continuously getting there. If we don't
stop development of features in yum at some point, it will be impossible to
replace yum with dnf in the future.

If you feel that there are some important features missing, please let us know
which ones. Although we won't automatically prioritize all of them, we will
take your input into consideration. Note that everyone can have his own set of
features that he considers to be important.

Thanks
Jan