Software Management call for RFEs

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon May 27 08:31:29 UTC 2013

Am 27.05.2013 09:32, schrieb Jan Zelený:
> On 25. 5. 2013 at 09:34:32, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Michael Ekstrand <michael at elehack.net>
> wrote:
>>> Performance improvement: improve scaling to 5K+ installed packages.
>>
>> * Amen. This is particularly compounded by poor caching default
>> behavior, so that a few yum commands in a row each wind up reaching
>> out to downloading metadata again, and again, and again.
>>
>> I think this can be addressed by moving the metadata updates to a
>> different function, and calling it *separately* only as needed. The
>> Debian "apt" tool does this quite effectively.
>
> Unfortunately there is not much we can do about this. Debian has completely
> different repository policy - they keep all versions of packages in the repo so
> there is no need to update metadata on client machines every time

what does keep old versions or not change besides you need
to do "apt-get update" if you want to find "apt-get upgrade"
to find new packages?

the real problem is that the metadata are *way too fat* in Fedora

after a "yum clean metadata && yum update" on a slow line you
have to wait a very long time and even the download of the
presto-metadata often is larger and takes longer as the
packages which are updated in reality

hey on my 100 Mbit all is nice and fine but on a machine behind
DSL with around 100 KB/Second it is way too slow and large and
i refuse to imagine how this feels on a 56kbit modem