Software Management call for RFEs

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Tue May 28 06:51:03 UTC 2013

On 27. 5. 2013 at 10:31:29, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 27.05.2013 09:32, schrieb Jan Zelený:
> > On 25. 5. 2013 at 09:34:32, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> >> * Amen. This is particularly compounded by poor caching default
> >> behavior, so that a few yum commands in a row each wind up reaching
> >> out to downloading metadata again, and again, and again.
> >>
> >> I think this can be addressed by moving the metadata updates to a
> >> different function, and calling it *separately* only as needed. The
> >> Debian "apt" tool does this quite effectively.
> >
> > Unfortunately there is not much we can do about this. Debian has
> > completely
> > different repository policy - they keep all versions of packages in the
> > repo so there is no need to update metadata on client machines every time
>
> what does keep old versions or not change besides you need
> to do "apt-get update" if you want to find "apt-get upgrade"
> to find new packages?

Something like that, yes. If you don't update your metadata you won't get
updates but installation will still work, even if the installed version is not
the latest available.

> the real problem is that the metadata are *way too fat* in Fedora

That's not "the real problem". It's just one of the problems which in
combination cause this pain.

> after a "yum clean metadata && yum update" on a slow line you
> have to wait a very long time and even the download of the
> presto-metadata often is larger and takes longer as the
> packages which are updated in reality
>
> hey on my 100 Mbit all is nice and fine but on a machine behind
> DSL with around 100 KB/Second it is way too slow and large and
> i refuse to imagine how this feels on a 56kbit modem

I couldn't agree more. But as I have said, we need to find the most simple and
unintrusive things that can be done to improve this. For instance: file lists
take a considerable portion of the entire metadata size. But if we were to
remove them, things like "yum install /usr/bin/vim" would not work any more.
And you get similar scenario with almost all the metadata that we store - we
store them for a reason and without them some things that people use will not
work.

Thanks
Jan