Software Management call for RFEs

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Tue May 28 08:11:55 UTC 2013

On 05/27/2013 09:32 AM, Jan Zelený wrote:
> Unfortunately there is not much we can do about this. Debian has completely
> different repository policy - they keep all versions of packages in the repo so
> there is no need to update metadata on client machines every time.

Actually we can do something. Have diffs on metadata.

Let imagine that yesterday I done full upgrade.
Today PackageKit is saying that I have one package for upgrade. Avarage
package has 800kB. Because of those few kB I have to download all those
metadata again. On my machine it is 28 MB (!). But the diff on those
metadata is actually just few kB.

We have presto plugin for diffing rpm packages, but I would actually
save more time and more bandwidth if we would have diff on metadatas.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Systems Management Engineering