Software Management call for RFEs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed May 29 10:48:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:51:21AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> I simply got tired of tilting at that particular windmill when
> confronted with some particularly egregious cases (see libguestfs
> sometime).

$ rpm -qR libguestfs|grep ^/
/sbin/ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig
/lib64/rtkaio/librt.so.1
/usr/lib64/sasl2/libanonymous.so.2
/usr/lib64/sasl2/libsasldb.so.2

To resolve 3 strings we have to download 26 MB of data.

Getting rid of filelists seems like a bad idea because they are so
useful.  Implementing them better on the other hand ...

At the moment they are stored in a sqlite database which is bzip2
compressed.  The filelists DB for Fedora 18 is 26 MB compressed or 143 MB
uncompressed.

The sqlite database just stores basically the strings as-is.  There
are some structures which are better for storing strings that have a
lot of common prefixes, such as tries and suffix trees.

Rich.