Software Management call for RFEs

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 29 21:16:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 14:18 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> >   * Why the sql schema is so denormalized (IMO, leads to both
> > bandwidth and disk overspending without speed benefits)?. For
> > example: Why provides and requires tables do not use the common
> > domain table?
>
> B/c it was designed 8yrs ago and we were going for compressable space
> and making it as quick as possible to search?

 It wasn't just that, I did the work to normalize it ~5 years ago:

http://james.fedorapeople.org/yum/patches/yum-metadata-parser-ids.patch

...but the download savings were so minimal (IIRC ~1% saving on the .bz2
file) it just didn't seem worth the effort, and any downsides.
 Ofc. anyone else has been free to run with it if they want to.