Why is chrony conditional on system-config-date?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu May 30 14:25:14 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson (awilliam at redhat.com) said:
> On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 16:18 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > In F19 comps @standard group:
> >
> > <packagereq type="conditional" requires="system-config-date">chrony</packagereq>
> >
> > This seems odd to me.  I also only see system-config-date being brought in by
> > the kde-desktop group.
>
> commit 20529fa5ab687f042db3d484ee7738e78e844852
> Author: Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>
> Date:   Tue Aug 9 12:27:29 2011 -0400
>
>     If s-c-date is installed, pull in chrony.
>
> So...ask Bill, I guess?

firstboot (in the old days) imported system-config-date to configure the
date, time, and whether NTP was used. Its configuring of NTP required an
NTP client to be installed. By having chrony conditional in @standard, it
ensured

1) that when system-config-date (and by proxy, firstboot) were installed,
we'd have a NTP client so it could ocnfigure successfully
2) that we defaulted to chrony as the client as intended by the F16 feature

Nowadays... many things use timedatectl & the systemd service to set the
NTP status. It does not directly bring in any ntp client, intentionally.
(not needed for minimal installs)

While anaconda will bring chrony in for the live images, we probably
want to add a similar conditional for gnome-control-center, so GNOME
images/installs make sure to install a working NTP setup. Matthias?

Bill