Software Management call for RFEs

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Fri May 31 09:23:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 08:33:16PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Users sometimes misdiagnose issues, *especially* when complaining. 8-)
>
> I did some tests and cold cache performance tests on an old Debian
> installation.  Performance with cold caches is more than adequate.
> Full-text searches take about two seconds.  Package installation reaches
> the confirmation prompt (after dependency resolution) in less than three
> seconds, even for ridiculously complex tasks such as installing the entire
> KDE desktop (365 additional packages on my test system).
>
> In contrast, on Fedora or RHEL systems, 30 seconds for dependency
> resolution with a cold cache are common, plus around 6 seconds for loading
> all the Python code for yum.  /usr/bin/time reports much more I/O than it
> does non Debian (about ten times as much, as reflected in the wall clock
> time).

If you want to do some measurements for depsolving without the python
overhead, you can try the "libsolv-demo" package (it's a subpackage
of libsolv, so it should be available for Fedora). It consists of
a single binary, "/usr/bin/solv", that is a little package manager
on top of libsolv.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg