Daily package ownership changes?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri May 31 16:52:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, 29 May 2013 19:44:21 -0700
"T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> What Matt Domsch was doing for
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fails_to_build_from_source
> >
> > Ah, sure, yeah. FTBFS runs would be a great little project.
>
> We've done a mass rebuild for GCC updates or other things pretty much
> every release for the last several releases anyway, and these have
> caught lots of FTBFS issues.  Is there really any reason to do this
> specifically for FTBFS?

Well, if we wanted to run them more often than once every 6 months.
Also, we have in the past not done mass rebuilds for some releases
(where there is no change that needs one), which could mean a year or
more between runs.

With enough computing power you can do a run in a week or so.

Also, having the infrastructure setup to do them (scripts, etc) would
allow us to do them for proposed changes. Ie, We could do a mass
rebuild with PIE on by default and see what breaks and let people
install those packages to test, or changing other compiler or base
options.

kevin