Is Gnome Software ready for primetime ?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 03:30:40 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 14:31 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> I know Richard has pushed hard to get appdata for apps, but it do help
> the
> end user, if lot of apps in gnome-software dont have any descriptions.
>

> Look at System -> File Tools -> Caja-actions configuration tool
>

> How should an end user have a clue what this app does ?

This really does require package maintainers to pay attention and
include appdata files for their packages. I've done quite a few, for
packages that I maintain and ones that I use. However, sending appdata
files upstream requires new bugtracker accounts and since existing
package maintainers are supposed to have these already, it's really best
if they write up and include appstream data, or at least take
submissions from the community and send them upstream.

I've requested a list of packages missing appdata[1]. Once I have that,
I'll go ahead and file bugs in the hope that it'll get maintainers to
take out the five minutes required to write and submit these.

[1] https://github.com/hughsie/fedora-appstream/issues/13
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,