Packages have "proxy" word.

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Fri Nov 1 12:52:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 12:09:03PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 02:07:22AM +0100, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 01:08:33AM +0200, مصعب الزعبي wrote:
> > > بسم الله الرّحمن الرّحيم
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The result of updating Fedora by yum is fail !!
> > >
> > > When any package have "proxy" word marked to (install or update) , error message will appear with http 403 error forbidden.
> > >
> > > In my country Syria (maybe others) all URLs have "proxy" word are forbidden and couldn't open by default way.
> >
> > I think you'll have to use a... proxy to work around this problem.
> > Or maybe it'll be enough to use a https connection to the mirror.
>
> NB, US export restrictions that Fedora is subject to mean users
> from Syria should not be downloading Fedora at all[1], via a proxy
> or not.
Let's consider how likely this export restriction is to prevent a
member of the Syrian government or military from obtaining a copy of
Fedora? Not very likely. How likely this export restriction is to hurt
a random person, e.g. trying to install open source to avoid
restrictions imposed by their government? The first is a joke, the
second is high enough to keep this restriction in the same contempt
as the Syrian government's ban on "proxy".

Zbyszek