Is Gnome Software ready for primetime ?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 1 13:58:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 11:01:57AM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> We wanted to write an application that rocked for a certain set of
> users, rather than write a generic UI that wasn't really usable by
> anyone. Also, given that you can easily install the old packagekit
> package tools using the application installer, there's really no
> reason to get upset at all.

Speaking purely for myself and my own usage, I think this distinction makes
plenty of sense. Except I don't even really want the old packagekit tools.
If I'm looking for something desktop-application-y, an "app store" seems
like a great feature, and I'll probably use it for convenience.

If I'm looking at a lower level and thinking about _packages_, I probably am
thinking from a command-line viewpoint anyway, and using yum directly is
exactly what I want.