OpenH264 in Fedora

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 17:01:53 UTC 2013

Do the codes only apply to WebRTC consumers, or can these be used in
other context?
For example Gnome has ctrl+alt+shift+R to screen-cast, which saves in
webM format.
Could that switch to whatever h.264 format with Cisco bits?

Maybe get the lawyers to look at this?

-Jon Disnard
irc: masta
fas: parasense

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 08:11:48 -0700,
>   Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I personally believe it would probably be helpful to the discussion if
>> Fedora is able to reach a (preliminary?) decision on if OpenH264 (as
>> described) will be able to be used by Fedora systems (e.g. by having
>> something analogous to codec buddy go install the codec to give all
>> Fedora systems H.264 support) in order to provide feedback to the
>> working group. If a decision to mandate H.264 in WebRTC means that
>> Fedora systems would be unable to comply with the specification, that
>> would be unfortunate.
>

> I don't see mandating H.264 in WebRTC as a good thing. So I'd rather not see
> Fedora people spend time supporting it, as opposed to doing other Fedora
> related work. And for people that don't need to worry about software patents
> or who don't worry about practising them without proper licensing, they can
> use x264 from RPMFusion.
>
> --

-Jon