gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Sat Nov 2 17:16:08 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 12:05 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Richard, who is "we" in this context? And what is "offline"?
we = GNOME, via systemd

offline = "Install Updates & Restart" [1]. Your computer shuts down,
installs updates, shuts down again, and then boots back to GDM. This has
been around since F18 (though it was quite broken until a PackageKit
update in May or so), but it's currently a somewhat hidden option in the
GNOME Shell menu. In F20 it will be the default behavior.

I really want to have an "Install Updates & Power Off" option as well,
since offline updates are disruptive and annoying, and I don't want to
wait around for my computer to restart when installing updates.

The other change I want is for PackageKit to download updates weekly by
default. Currently updates come daily, but daily offline updates would
be completely absurd. All we have to do to support this is to change the
default value of one gsettings key.

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/SystemUpdates/