gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 20:02:51 UTC 2013

On 2 November 2013 17:47, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I'm not really excited about a lot of required rebooting, though -- I think
> that might be worse than the disease. We should have most of the information
> needed to determine if a reboot is really necessary, shouldn't we? I hope we
> can move to that in the future for a nicer user experience.

There's no way to tell if an application can be updated on-line due to
runtime loadable content and plugins. It's also impossible to do in a
race-free way on a multiuser system. Quite frankly, I'm surprised
online updates works as much as it does. The problem is when online
update fails, you either get corrupted data and crashing application,
or a hosed rpmdb. In a related point, we need to reduce the number of
updates we present to the user in a massive way in a supposedly
"stable" distro.

Richard