Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Sat Nov 2 20:50:02 UTC 2013

On 01.11.2013 19:15, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz
> <mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:
>> On 01.11.2013 15:24, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> Attached is the draft PRD for the Workstation working group. The
>>> proposal tries to be relatively high level and focus on goals and
>>> principles, but I have included some concrete examples at times to try
>>> to provide some clarity on how the goals and principles could play out
>>> in practice.
>>>
>>> I hope the community at large will take the time to read through it and
>>> provide feedback so that when the working group meet next we can use
>>> that feedback to start tuning in on the final form of the PRD.
>>>
>>> Also in the name of openness, before I sent this here, I showed the PRD
>>> draft to key stakeholders and decision makers inside Red Hat, to ensure
>>> that we have the necessary support for these plans to get the kind of
>>> engineering resources allocated from Red Hat we will need to pull this
>>> off.
>>>

>> It looks like it is designed only for developers by developers.
>>
>> What about graphic designers, musicians, document writers, etc.? They
>> all are not mentioned as target audience.
>
> Per this document, those would fall into the "Other users" section.

Is it wise to put 90% of use cases in "other users" section? Maybe I
don't understand intention of this document but judging based on it's
content Workstation product only (mostly) embraces software development.

> The software for much of those use cases is available in the wider
> Fedora repository, so one could install them if needed.

I'm aware that this Fedora devel process revolution shouldn't result in
mass package removal but I'm really worried that goals are set so
narrowly and this might result in functionality degradation. Now we have
all packages for different use cases but no progress is stagnation and
finally death.

Mateusz Marzantowicz