gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 2 22:27:40 UTC 2013

Am 02.11.2013 23:21, schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> Then change the way that updates to the released distribution are
> treated. As long as we don't constrain the constant stream of barely
> tested updates, we *are* pretty much forcing our users to restart their
> system frequently.

i am using updates-testing over years and often enough koji-packages too
there are not much "barely" and problemtaic tested updates at all
if someone wnats a system with less to zero updates he is using the
wrong distribution and better suited with RHEL

> We will look at allowing non-offline updates of applications when we
> have applications that are truly standalone and separate from the OS
> itself

"truly standalone" is static linked

*no* the people using Linux systems does not want the Windows/Apple
way where everyting carries his whole libraries and never ever get
updated and the ones who think that they want are using the wrong
operating system

that may sound hard but it is the truth

we do not need another clone if Windows/OSX to be successful
in whatever statistics - the strength of operating systems like
fedora is that they do not need to follow marketing and sales