Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Sun Nov 3 14:43:02 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-11-03 at 14:42 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Christian Schaller wrote:
> > The PRD avoids these questions by design. To often open source discussions
> > end up being discussions about the merits of the means as opposed to the
> > actual goals.
>
> Well, I disagree about the basic decision of whether we want a standard
> desktop UI or something, uh, "different", being only "about the merits of
> the means".
>
> > It should be a sobering notion that for all the years when the community
> > discussed if the a successful desktop should be implemented in C or C++ we
> > ended up having our collective thunder stolen by a desktop written in
> > Objective-C.
>
> That really didn't have anything to do with the merits of Objective C, or
> even of the desktop, but only with marketing. If Objective C were that
> great, we'd all be using GNUstep.

Which was my point too, we spend way to much time arguing the merits of
programming languages and similar and to little trying to focus on the
things that the rest of the world actually care about. I think the most
extreme example I can remember of this was someone trying to convince me
once to use a web browser that didn't have any of the features I
actually needed, like https support, 'because it had cleaner code'.
So I am not saying that clean code and maintainability and ease of
development is not important, but I think being a community dominated by
coders we tend to put way to much emphasis on these things compared to
actually solving peoples needs.

Christian