Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Nov 3 17:44:42 UTC 2013

Am 03.11.2013 18:28, schrieb Chris Murphy:
> On Nov 3, 2013, at 7:10 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> What we have now is:
>> * a free-of-charge repository with central QA ensuring that everything works
>>  together,
>> * a commitment of that repository to ship only Free Software and active
>>  auditing to ensure that,
>> * client tooling automatically resolving dependencies, avoiding the need to
>>  bundle libraries (see also
>>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries),
>> * ergo, an installation procedure of "fire up 'Apper (Software Management)',
>>  enter the package name or some search terms or browse the categories for
>>  the package, click Install, confirm, (enter root password) (*), use the
>>  application", as user-friendly as it can get.
>>
>> What we would have in an "app" world would be:
>> * every upstream attempting to distribute applications themselves, forcing
>>  users to hunt down their websites one by one to get software,
>> * no control whatsoever over licensing, not even a way to check that what
>>  claims to be "open source" really is (our auditing has found all sorts of
>>  licenses with bad terms, bundled code under non-free licenses, etc.),
>> * giving more viability to all sorts of payware models and the proprietary
>>  license restrictions (no redistribution etc.) that are usually used to
>>  enforce payment,
>> * massive bundling and the resulting disk space and security issues.
>>
>> We DON'T want Apple-like "apps"!
>
> Right, because that's a model for success that shouldn't be either emulated or improved upon

if success is

 * to have no centralized updates
 * have most applicatons and tools never updated at all
 * have the weakest security model even compared to Windows these days
 * have a standards violating OS
 * have a unstable OS

and all above points are taken from Apple workstations surrounding me
then indeed i prefer to keep that unsuccesfull as Fedora was while
doing a great job for me the last 7 years as for many others

since it is a free operating system it does not need to be commerical
successfull and so it needs to satisfy it's *existing* and potential userbase
but not obsessive attrative for *everybody*

fit for everybodys needs often at the end of the day means you can do
anything but nothing really good - that's a bad target - keep focused
and doing that things *really good* is the better attitude in doubt