Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Mon Nov 4 11:21:23 UTC 2013

On 04.11.2013 11:13, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 11:03:45 +0100
>> drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Apps shipping from upstream direcly does not have to be closed
>>> source. Firefox for instance could use that, or libreoffice, or
>>> eclipse. If a user needs a newer version (or nightly build) without
>>> having upstream worry about the specific distribution.
>>>

>> I haven't read every post in the thread.
>> Confused are use asking users to build nightlies
>> (or other ver) from src?
>
> No we are just creating a way to allow those upstreams to create those
> builds for users (as Florian said without having them to update to
> rawhide or wait six months for the next release).

The average user don't use nightly builds and should not be interested
in such experimental software. Only developer could benefit from gaining
access to latest builds in order to participate in project development.

Users would be more than happy to use the same software version as long
as they can. I meet users that ask me the same boring question: why do
we need to upgrade to the new version and why do we need to learn using
this software again and again and ....? They understand the need of
fixing bugs and happily welcome some minor improvements but are not
interested in applications as such.

Software is like hammer - it's a tool. People don't care about hammers
unless they can build what they want. People don't want to install
software - they want to use it!

Mateusz Marzantowicz