Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Mon Nov 4 11:32:09 UTC 2013

On 04.11.2013 12:18, Florian Müllner wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Nicolas Mailhot
> <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net <mailto:nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>> wrote:
>> GNOME decided to break it all the time (can't even get extensions work
>> from one gnome-shell version to the next one and no gracefully disabling
>> is still functional breakage).
>
> So what do you suggest? We can either
>
> (1) restrict the functionality extension can provide (e.g. "add an icon
> with a menu to the top bar" - of course that'd mean no alternate-tab,
> shell-shape, alternative-status-menu etc.)
>
> (2) cease development of gnome-shell
>
> (1) will cause an understandable outrage as it would mean the end for a
> large percentage of extensions, and (2) is not an option.

Just see how others does this. Linux Kernel is one example, Django is
another. This two projects from very different corners are able to
provide stable API/ABI for some longer time period. I really appreciate
your (GNOME devels) hard work but sometimes it is better to stop and
think for a moment about where we're going, than writing as much code as
one can handle and the remove it in next release.

Mateusz Marzantowicz