gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Mon Nov 4 14:31:11 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 November 2013 17:47, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> I'm not really excited about a lot of required rebooting, though -- I think
>> that might be worse than the disease. We should have most of the information
>> needed to determine if a reboot is really necessary, shouldn't we? I hope we
>> can move to that in the future for a nicer user experience.
>
> There's no way to tell if an application can be updated on-line due to
> runtime loadable content and plugins. It's also impossible to do in a
> race-free way on a multiuser system.

That's true in the _general_ case, and therefore the ability to have
off-line updates is a good _general_ default.  We should be able to do
_much_ better for many common cases (at the very least, a package that
only has one executable, or one shared library, and no other
executables or shared libraries or data files with unknown function).

OTOH that's more of a generic packaging infrastructure RFE than
specifically a gnome-software RFE.

> The problem is when online
> update fails, you either get <snip>
> or a hosed rpmdb.

(How can rpmdb get "hosed", and how are offline updates supposed to
prevent that?)
    Mirek