Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 16:02:21 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 12:18:16PM +0100, Florian Müllner wrote:
>> > GNOME decided to break it all the time (can't even get extensions work
>> > from one gnome-shell version to the next one and no gracefully disabling
>> > is still functional breakage).
>> So what do you suggest? We can either
>> (1) restrict the functionality extension can provide (e.g. "add an icon
>> with a menu to the top bar" - of course that'd mean no alternate-tab,
>> shell-shape, alternative-status-menu etc.)
>> (2) cease development of gnome-shell
>
> I think there's probably a third way. It used to be that Firefox extensions
> broke with every update, but now that really rarely happens. That's partly
> because the base program has kind of stablized, but also because there's a
> nice developer ecosystem, with good supporting documentation and tons of
> tutorials. I think it's important to grow that for Gnome Shell, with good
> communication about migrating extensions as new versions come out.

No sorry but that's nonsense. Tutorials do not change anything here.
The problem is how extension work. You can either have a fixed API
with defined entry points,
which you can commit to keep stable but it would limit what extensions
can do. Or you allow
extensions to change the code directly (through monkey patching etc)
which means they have
the freedom to do whatever they want but at the same time any code
change in the area you modify
directly would break it. Gnome-shell currently does the latter.