OpenH264 in Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Nov 4 17:31:33 UTC 2013

Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> We still have a problem with MP3, but it does solve a fundamental
> problem.

We had the same type of solution (just with a different binary producer,
Fluendo) offered for MP3. We rejected it, due to both political (effectively
unmodifiable binary) and technical (interoperability problems, e.g. with
SELinux, that could not be fixed because it was a binary blob) reasons. The
compromise that was originally implemented (Codeina, also known as the
"Codec Buddy", which worked pretty much as you propose) was dropped soon
afterwards because the users did NOT like it. (They wanted the libmad plugin
rather than the flump3 one, and they also wanted all the other codecs in RPM
Fusion for which Codeina either had no alternative or only an expensive paid
one. So Codeina just confused them and made it no easier for them to
actually get what they wanted. So now we have the PackageKit-based GStreamer
codec installer which requires rpmfusion-free-release to be installed to be
useful, but then actually offers the codecs that users want.)

        Kevin Kofler