Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Mon Nov 4 18:37:02 UTC 2013

On 04.11.2013 19:25, Florian Müllner wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> Florian Müllner wrote:
>>> ... or users having to update their *entire* system to
>>> unstable/experimental versions if they want to try the lastest
>>> Firefox/Libreoffice/Eclipse
>>
>> Then either upstream or the Fedora packager should just build the unstable
>> version against the stable Fedora in a PPA. See e.g. kde-unstable for KDE
>> betas.
>
> This does not work if the unstable package depends on an unstable
> version of a dependency shared with the stable system, e.g. if kate
> depends on an experimental Qt version, your current choice is to not
> test it or have all of KDE use an unstable version of Qt.

This sounds like a good use case for virtualization. You test your
unstable apps in your test environment with other unstable software and
don't need to destroy your workstation. If I were using Kate (to follow
your example) for my daily work I wouldn't risk making it unusable on my
system.

Mateusz Marzantowicz