OpenH264 in Fedora

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Nov 4 21:29:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 15:21:56 -0600,
   Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
>On Mon, 2013-11-04 at 13:29 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> I have asked on the advisory-board list about getting an official
>> Fedora
>> position on OpenH264 before the vote occurs. I don't want to be
>> making
>> claims about Fedora on my own on how far Fedora will or won't go in
>> supporting OpenH264. (This could in theory affect our ability to use
>> the
>> Firefox trademark if we block its ability to download that codec from
>> Cisco.
>> Assuming that the download is implemented in Firefox.)
>
>Thanks very much; the statement at [1] makes it clear that Fedora will
>not support WebRTC if H.264 becomes MTI. Now, who wants to tell the
>IETF....
>
>[1]
>https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2013-November/012261.html

That's not what it says. That just says we won't package the binary. What
isn't answered is limitations on the process for Firefox downloading it
in Fedora. I really doubt firefox will be totally prevented from downloading
the binary as a plugin. It might be only doable by an admin. The default
might be changed so it doesn't automatically do the install. Or there might
be other tweaks to make it less intrusive for people that don't want it or
maybe to make sure they understand the restrictions they agree to by using /
downloading the binary. And it looks like that falls under FESCO's purview
(if they want some limitations).