OpenH264 in Fedora

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon Nov 4 21:58:12 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-11-04 at 15:29 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> That's not what it says. That just says we won't package the binary. What
> isn't answered is limitations on the process for Firefox downloading it
> in Fedora. I really doubt firefox will be totally prevented from downloading
> the binary as a plugin. It might be only doable by an admin. The default
> might be changed so it doesn't automatically do the install. Or there might
> be other tweaks to make it less intrusive for people that don't want it or
> maybe to make sure they understand the restrictions they agree to by using /
> downloading the binary. And it looks like that falls under FESCO's purview
> (if they want some limitations).

Yes that's true, I should have mentioned that. Well, people can read the
link:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2013-November/012261.html

Unless FESCO is planning to host an emergency meeting, the Firefox issue
will be decided after the IETF vote, or at least too late to have any
influence. Regardless of what Firefox may be permitted to do on its own
- and not all of us use Firefox - "the OpenH264 code from Cisco is not
acceptable in Fedora" is a very significant statement.