Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Nov 4 22:02:38 UTC 2013

Le Lun 4 novembre 2013 20:15, Josh Boyer a écrit :
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>>> And, by the way, we've been supporting this kind of model with pip
>>> and gem already, so I really don't get why all the fuss when
>>> suddenly we want to do it with the desktop applications.
>>>

>> Please don't use pip and gem as "positive" examples... they have a
>> habit of conflicting with the installed system that is an additional
>> problem we may hope to solve with this.
>
> It's worth pointing out that they're positive examples to the
> developers using them.  They want to work on their applications and
> not have to fight against the distro's versions.  And those developers
> are particularly the ones being targeted with containerized apps.  So
> equating the two in a positive light probably isn't a bad idea.  Those
> developers care about their apps.  They don't care about the distros.

… till they have a customer that forces them to reinvent the deployment
processes distros standardised.

The problem is not to get code in the hands of developers. You don't need
distros for that. The problem is to get the code to end-users and
developers spend more time fighting the constrains it involves than trying
to understand this problem-space.

Of course the aim might not be to reach end users but to push code from
developpers to other developpers. Let's stop pretending doing products
then. Be honest and admit you want a demo scene.

--
Nicolas Mailhot