Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 17:59:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 09:21:15AM -0500, Ray Strode wrote:
> I think this is a pretty good starting point for our development
> direction, and sets the stage for us making positive progress in the
> new working group model.
>
> I do think we should keep it open to tweaks in the future as things
> play out, (at the discretion of the 9 members on the working group).
> In other words, I think it lays a solid outline for enabling us all
> to know which direction to go, but i want to make sure if it doesn't
> ever "get in the way". The working group should treat it as a living
> document that gets updated as necessary to reflect changes in the
> landscape.

Agreed, it's a good start.  One question...

> > Case 2: Independent Developer
> > Personal development system for an independent software developer doing
> > contract work or developing apps for a new opportunity.
> >
> > Desktop Apps: Up to date desktop with email client, browser, productivity
> > suite, messaging, and  complete set of desktop apps and utilities.  Desktop
> > apps should be sufficient to make  this system the developer's only computer.
> s/and  complete/and a complete/
> s/make  this/make this/
>
> [... snip other use cases that sound good ...]
>
> > Other users
> > While the developer workstation is the main target of this system and what we
> > try to design this for, we do of course also welcome other users to the
> > Fedora Workstation. In fact many of the changes and improvements we expect to
> > implement for developers will be equally beneficial to other user segments,
> I think this is a really important point.  Developers are users, too,
> just trying
> to get their work done.  We should make sure the OS doesn't get in the way, and
> that it doesn't enforce artificial barriers to entry.  Just because a user may
> know how the sausage is made, doesn't mean we should make them stuff their own
> (so to speak).  And if a user/developer doesn't know the inner workings of
> Fedora, that's okay, too.  We should be enabling the user to get the things
> done he/she cares about, not forcing them to learn the things we care about.
>
> There should be no "You must be this tall to ride Fedora Workstation" signs.

Is it the intent that the developer cases here completely subsume the
case of a developer who is working primarily on Fedora itself
(including the Worsktation)?  Perhaps we should call that out to
correctly prioritize integration of the various developer tools
currently available or planned for the Workstation.