Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 5 19:58:51 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 14:22 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > - What about watching films, listening to music? I think it is a basic
> > requirement for students (at least for me).
> >
> > Maybe we should add a that a student should be able to play videos and
> > listen to music. It should be easy to install required codes
> > (free/nonfree/patente) if they are available in the repositories (yes, I
> > mean rpmfusion)
>
> This would require approval beyond the WG, as it goes against Fedora's
> policies.  Note, I am not saying you are incorrect, just that it's a
> conversation to be had elsewhere first.

Ensuring that it's possible/easy to install plugins from third party
repositories when appropriate if those third party repositories are
defined is not, I don't believe, against any policies, or we could not
have the automatic codec installation mechanisms in Totem and Rhythmbox.
(Which, as I read it, is the kind of thing this comment was about).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey