Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 5 20:23:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 14:22 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> > - What about watching films, listening to music? I think it is a basic
>> > requirement for students (at least for me).
>> >
>> > Maybe we should add a that a student should be able to play videos and
>> > listen to music. It should be easy to install required codes
>> > (free/nonfree/patente) if they are available in the repositories (yes, I
>> > mean rpmfusion)
>>
>> This would require approval beyond the WG, as it goes against Fedora's
>> policies.  Note, I am not saying you are incorrect, just that it's a
>> conversation to be had elsewhere first.
>
> Ensuring that it's possible/easy to install plugins from third party
> repositories when appropriate if those third party repositories are
> defined is not, I don't believe, against any policies, or we could not
> have the automatic codec installation mechanisms in Totem and Rhythmbox.
> (Which, as I read it, is the kind of thing this comment was about).

The codec search only works if you have repositories configured that
have packages that match the Provides (as far as I understand).
Fedora policy says that we do not promote or install such
repositories.  This is the "don't talk about RPMFusion" rule.

So sure, we can have software that will pull things in if the user has
done some manual intervention.  We just cant, currently, do that thing
for them.

josh