Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Wed Nov 6 13:54:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 01:23:01PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> So let me step into my handy Tardis and bring back a vignette from the
> Real World after Fedora and other distributions bless upstream app
> distribution as a preferred channel:

Could you give some practical programs which are impacted by this? From
what I can see, loads of programs are not packaged by a distribution.
They might have a package for one distribution, but then not for
another.

For a manager/techy type situation, I fail to understand practical
programs which would be impacted. Usually manager/techy means
proprietary, in which case you usually have packages for a few
distributions, but not all.

Really popular applications already provide packages for a few
distributions (but again not all).

The intention of these apps are to give an app for a distribution before
it's included within the distribution itself.

If the distribution method is really that more inconvenient, then this
should be addressed. But IMO the app thing is happening anyway. I really
dislike these artificial roadblocks for proprietary software.

The conversation IMO goes more like this:
- Manager: Hey can we provide something on this Linux thing?
- Techy: 20min of tech talk
- Manager looking at his phone 10 secs into the conversation
- Manager: "maybe we go for something less complicated"

vs

Techy: 1st quick n dirty (app), then improve on that (distributions)

--
Regards,
Olav