[Fedora Base Design WG] Committee FESCO approved, next steps

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 16:09:33 UTC 2013

> On 11/06/2013 09:57 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 15:38:10 +0100, Phil Knirsch
>> <pknirsch at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> But i do like the idea of well "Overlap" releases? Where most of
>>> the release would stay stable in a sense of API/ABI and we could
>>> still bring out a newer release.
>>
>> Since we have a system where multiple kernel types can be
>> installed, maybe we could use that to have a latest stable kernel
>> package and a latest long term support kernel package. This will
>> take more kernel team resources and may have some issues if the
>> graphics drivers devs want to take advantage of a new feature that
>> isn't going to be back ported to stable.
>
> Alternately, maybe this is one of the cases where we leave it to
> RHEL/CentOS to cover. For really long-term kernel support, those
> groups are much better equipped to resource it than the Fedora kernel
> team.

Hm, so would the Fedora Server products base their releases then on
CentOS instead? Otherwise, if due to resource constraints the Base
products can't have a longer life cycle then say, 1 year or so, how
would the Server products from Fedora be able to provide longer
lifecycles on top of that? Would they support the Base they are using
themselves? Who would do that?

As at the end of the day, as Bruno already mentioned in his answer, # of
releases per year and lifetime of one product don't scale well. They
actually scale quadratic, which is even worse. So we'll have to find
some common ground and ideas on how we can manage to support both fast
moving products e.g. like Cloud or potentially Workstation vs. slower
moving and longer living ones like i expect Server.

And don't take this as an attack please, i just want to ensure everyone
is on the same page regarding our finite resources and how we can most
efficiently use them and find a solution that will work for all involved
WGs and products.

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Manager Core Services        | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111