Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 6 18:24:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> In this situation what we should do is carefully consider the relative
> possibilities of the good, bad and mixed outcomes with as much precision
> as we can, and try to come up with a path forward which makes the
> likelihood of a good outcome as high as possible and the likelihood of a
> bad outcome as low as possible. "Let's just try it and see what
> happens!" is not a mature approach to risk management.

I'm asking this question genuinely and not sarcastically.

Isn't that very "let's try it and see what happens!" approach exactly
what we're doing with Fedora.next?  It seems to me we've forged ahead
with good ideas around what we'd like to see, but it's a hell of a lot
more risk than just having a new way to package applications.  I mean,
we don't even have resource requirements identified for Fedora.next,
much less acquired.  Yet, here we are doing it and doing it with the
expectation that we'll work through it.

I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the intense focus on a
new app packaging technology when the entire distro is making massive
changes to how it's produced.  It seems like we collectively aren't
seeing the forest because of the trees here.

josh