Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Nov 6 18:26:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
> This highlights a concern, not a "fatal flaw". The flaw IMO is within
> the distribution method.

No, the fatal flaw is that we don't really have an OS one can build
applications on: the ABI is unstable and insufficient.  So the choices
are either constantly rebuilding and patching (what distributions do)
or bundling (what non-distribution mechanisms do).

> Say you have this new application and you want to provide it to (most)
> Linux users *now* (not 6+ months later). There should be an answer for
> that.

Letting developers provide a custom application format is not actually
solving this: the difficult part is not making something "available on
the internet", but making it "reachable by the users".  This, in
practice, always ends up as one or a very small number of centralized
places - _the_ distribution, _the_ app store, _the_ amazon.com.  And
the difficulty of getting a set of bits to amazon.com / an app store /
a RPM is very similar.
    Mirek