Rawhide nodebug and the 3.12 kernel

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 6 21:05:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:30:37 -0800,
>>>   Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>> FWIW the ship has probably sailed now, but I really don't think it'd be
>>>> much of a problem to have 3.12 in F20 at release time. It's what I've
>>>> been running on my F20 box here for the last several weeks anyway, and
>>>> based on my testing it's unlikely to cause us any particular problems.
>>> I asked about this last week and the kernel devs didn't feel comfortable
>>> about switching after beta or trying to get a freeze exception to get 3.12
>>> into beta.
>> Right.  Also, at this point I'm not sure what 3.12 actually buys us
>> over a known 3.11.
>>> I run rawhide nodebug kernels on three machines and am not seeing any
>>> regressions relative to 3.11.
>> Are you running any ARM machines?  My understanding is that our F20
>> kernel has patches that enable important ARM stuff that isn't in
>> rawhide (3.12) because it was conflicting with the churn.  So that
>> would need to be added and tested, given ARM is primary on F20.
> The main issue here is BBBlack rebasing which I've started to do (not
> sure if kyle has looked at this at all) but as it stands the BBB on
> 3.11 has issues with USB/Display anyway so from this PoV it shouldn't
> be hard to get us to as good as or better experience with 3.12 on the
> BBBlack. The advantage of moving to 3.12 from the ARM PoV would be a
> much better and expanded experience from the i.MX PoV which covers
> Utilite and Wandboard which are some of our best working devices at
> the moment and it would improve that experience greatly.

Has there been a set of devices decided as blocking for F20?  Are any
of those you mentioned in that set?  I don't want to go add more
devices people have to test at this point.

> From my PoV I'm certainly not opposed to moving to 3.12 from the ARM
> side of things.

That's good to know, but I'm still uncomfortable doing it post-Beta.
I don't see how that would be reasonable, but I'm willing to be


More information about the devel mailing list