Rawhide nodebug and the 3.12 kernel

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 21:12:07 UTC 2013

>>> Are you running any ARM machines?  My understanding is that our F20
>>> kernel has patches that enable important ARM stuff that isn't in
>>> rawhide (3.12) because it was conflicting with the churn.  So that
>>> would need to be added and tested, given ARM is primary on F20.
>>
>> The main issue here is BBBlack rebasing which I've started to do (not
>> sure if kyle has looked at this at all) but as it stands the BBB on
>> 3.11 has issues with USB/Display anyway so from this PoV it shouldn't
>> be hard to get us to as good as or better experience with 3.12 on the
>> BBBlack. The advantage of moving to 3.12 from the ARM PoV would be a
>> much better and expanded experience from the i.MX PoV which covers
>> Utilite and Wandboard which are some of our best working devices at
>> the moment and it would improve that experience greatly.
>
> Has there been a set of devices decided as blocking for F20?  Are any
> of those you mentioned in that set?  I don't want to go add more
> devices people have to test at this point.

I'm not sure what, if any, specific are classed as blocking from the
ARM PoV. From the devices we're actively supporting the Wandboard will
have a better experience and the BBB I believe will as well but I'll
know that in the next couple of days.

>> From my PoV I'm certainly not opposed to moving to 3.12 from the ARM
>> side of things.
>
> That's good to know, but I'm still uncomfortable doing it post-Beta.
> I don't see how that would be reasonable, but I'm willing to be
> enlightened.

I don't see it as unreasonable, I'm just updating the current status
on ARM for 3.12 so you and others don't see us as blocking.

Peter