gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Wed Nov 6 22:29:27 UTC 2013

On 11/06/2013 05:08 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 06.11.2013 23:03, schrieb Miloslav Trmač:
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Przemek Klosowski
>> <przemek.klosowski at nist.gov> wrote:
>>> We don't have a way of telling which updates REQUIRE reboot(*)--but solving
>>> this problem by rebooting always is not right, in my opinion.
>> This information is already available in bodhi.  It's probably not
>> very accurate, but it is there, and it could be made more accurate
>> without changing the client-side tools.
> i always take "lsof | grep DEL | grep /usr" do get a list of processes
> which have deleted files open which are exactly the libraries re updated

But my point was that there can be more reasons: e.g. some action at the
service startup that needs to be done differently after the update.
Neither lsof nor bodhi can deal with that type. The only hope is that
the list is probably finite and we could come up with technical solutions.

Hey, wait a minute. What if we made %post* responsible for e.g. sending
dbus a 'need to restart something' message? Would that cover all cases
we've been talking about?