Discontinued Packing of NetBeans IDE

Manuel Faux manuel.faux at conf.at
Thu Nov 7 07:27:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 18:38:38 +0000
<devel-request at lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Quoting Rahul Sundaram (2013-11-05 17:46:55)
> >  Hi
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Manuel Faux  wrote:
> >
> > > Is it correct that the NetBeans IDE is currently not packed for
> > > Fedora? I checked the "netbeans" package, which was last built
> > > for fc17. Is there any technical or license reason for this or is
> > > just nobody packing it right now?
> > >

> > Someone from Sun used to be the maintainer and noone is doing it
> > right now.  No technical or licensing issues if anyone is
> > interested in packaging it afaik.
>
> More specifically look at:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/java-devel/2010-November/003980.html
>
> Reason nobody picked it up is that is has relatively big dependency
> chain and there was nobody interested enough (from maintainer
> perspective).

I have investigated the build process of NetBeans and I can just can go
along with the fact that its dependency chain is quite long.
Nevertheless I would like to reactivate it. If anyone is interested in
helping, feel free to contact me.

It seems like, that also netbeans-platform was not updated since quite
a long time, which means that this package needs to be updated before.

Manuel