Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Nov 7 13:20:58 UTC 2013

Le Mer 6 novembre 2013 19:24, Josh Boyer a écrit :

> I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the intense focus on a
> new app packaging technology when the entire distro is making massive
> changes to how it's produced.

Because all distributions can and do ship the same software and the main
thing that differences distributions is attention to packaging. What build
the Fedora brand is in huge part the hard work of packagers over the years
and careful definition of packaging guidelines.

There have been many people that claimed this process was awful in the
past and their alternatives all sank. Mainly because they were addressing
developer problems (freedom to take all the shortcuts that make
integration hard and users miserable) and thought they would win
marketshare this way (hint: you do not win marketshare by solving
developer problems you win marketshare by solving user problems. Users
always voted with their feet and rejected the developer-friendly solutions
that made their own life harder).

So what makes this initiative different? I guess that's because it
promotes itself as making it possible to get software in Fedora, competing
with and disparaging the work of packagers while hijacking the brand they
helped building.

Get this thing its own name. Let it win or lose user confidence on its own
merit, and don't confuse users with "in Fedora" claims when you're
absolutely *not* offering the same thing "in Fedora" means now.

Right now this proposal has the potential to ruin user trust and become
the same thorn nvidia drivers are for xorg and kernel people now. Of
course people who build this trust do not like it.

Is that clearer?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot